We’ve got the remedy! Ombre hair remains one of the hottest hair color trends not only because it has so many different options, but because they are ridiculously low maintenance. The variety of this trend can be seen in every magazine and on nearly every runway. Go bold, soft, colorful or natural with endless color choices.
USEFUL TIPS ON HOW TO DYE YOUR HAIR
1. FIND AN EXAMPLE: Have an example of exactly how you want your hair to look and study it before dying your hair. Sure, you’ve seen ombre on celebrities and friends, so you have a general sense of what the style looks like, but it’s best to have an exact role model to follow. Do you want a more Khloe Kardashian style or Lea Michele? There are so many variations on ombre that you shouldn’t go in blind, or else you might end up with a style you don’t love.
2. CHOOSE THE RIGHT HIGHLIGHT: Once you’ve decided how you want to dye your hair and are relatively educated on how to do it, head over to the store in search of the perfect highlight kit! Make sure you buy one designed for dark hair, because that really makes a difference! Also, try to find a dye with bleach built-in, so that you don’t have to bleach and dye your hair separately, which damages your hair a lot.
3. USE FOIL: One of the most important tips for a DIY ombre you’ll be proud to show off is to apply your bleach and dye generously and use tin foil to prevent them from drying while doing the magic on your hair. Failing to fully saturate your hair will produce a patchy, uneven result and the same will happen if the product is allowed to dry.
4. SEPARATE YOUR HAIR: Don’t try to tackle all of your hair at once, especially if you have thick or long hair. Separate your hair into at least two layers. Then, highlight the ends of your bottom layer of hair, taking your time and remembering to cover each highlight with foil. Once your bottom layer is complete, move on to the top layer.
5. PILE ON THE DYE TOWARDS THE ENDS: The very end of your hair should be the lightest part. At the top of each highlight, lightly brush on the dye, however, once you reach the bottom of a highlight, really pile on the dye. That way you get the full ombre effect.
6. HIGHLIGHT & BLEND: Your DIY ombre hair will look professionally done if you add a few random highlights around your face. Use a weaving technique (pointy tip of your dye-brush/teasing comb) to pry tiny strands above your ears, on your hairline or any other spot.
7. DON’T WASH YOUR HAIR: Of course, you should wash your hair right after you dye it. However after that, for at least 24 hours, leave your hair unwashed. After you’ve exposed your hair to so many chemicals, it’s a good idea to give your hair a chance to restore itself. That way, the ends can get replenished by your hair’s natural oils.
8. USE SHAMPOO: Shampoo is a valuable tool for women with dyed hair! Shampoo tones your hair, so if your hair turns out brassy or a shade other than your desired shade. This will give it a more natural, pretty look.
9. OWN IT: After following the above tips, we see no reason why your ombre hair shouldn’t turn out beautifully. Also note, the most useful tip for making a DIY ombre look flawless is simply to believe that it is flawless.